Trust Deed Forum - Maximum monthly payment?
Trust-Deed.co.uk
Home Home Page

Trust Deed Forum
Trust Deed Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Trust Deeds
 Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Maximum monthly payment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Abi

6 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2022 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
Just a random question. Is there a maximum amount you can pay towards your trustdeed? For example is it capped at say £500 or could you pay £1000 if itís affordable? Itís just a question in theory! Also, Iím looking at a job with the possibility of uncapped commission. The trust deed is in my husbands name and obviously commission isnít guaranteed so would I be allowed to keep any commission?

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13967 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2022 :  09:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Abi,

There isn't a maximimum amount. The payment is always based upon an affordability calculation, with a trust deed user's calculated disposable income being due to be paid over.

If you're not in a trust deed then your personal disposable income can be spent as you wish.

One possible implication however is that the trustee might think it's reasonable that you cover more of the household bills if your income increases a lot, which could have the effect of increasing your husband's disposable income.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Abi

6 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2022 :  09:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply.
When I rang up last time they said we had to calculate everything based on household income so I had to give over how much I earn, is that correct? And if so, what would happen to commission? Do I have to give them bank statements and payslips or can we just say that we will split the household bills 50/50? If I get this job my husband will still earn more than me.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13967 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2022 :  10:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Abi,

The best way to calculate a person's disposable income is to start by calculating the household's disposable income. This means taking into account your circumstances as well as your husband's. The reason for this is so that a reasonable and proportionate amount of your joint household expenditure can be allocated to your husband.

This doesn't necessarily mean a 50/50 split of bills if one of you is earning more than the other. The higher earner might be allocated more than 50% of this joint spending.

I doubt that they could require you to hand over bank statements or payslips as you're not personally in a trust deed. There again, everything might work a little more smoothly and accurately if you did.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

4111 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2022 :  12:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Abi.

Your trustee's husband can't make you share your income details with them and you don't have to if you would rather not. They would then just need to assess his contributions based on his income only, after a reasonable contribution to household costs (usually 50:50)

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2022 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) AMI Financial Solutions Limited. Company Number: SC533818. Trading Address: Unit 1017, Mile End Mill, Abbey Mill Business Centre, 12 Seedhill Road, Paisley, PA1 1JS. Tel: 0141 848 6353. Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.