Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Selling House
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leighboyd1
Just Joined

1 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2021 :  16:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on a trust deed and planning on selling my house. My profit will be larger than what I owe back. I have read that they will take all the profit. Can i confirm that I will still get the excess profit after I have paid off my trust deed?

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13754 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2021 :  19:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the trust deed forum Leighboyd1.

You will receive the surplus funds, but it's important to understand how that surplus is calculated.

A trust deed only writes-off the debt that you cannot afford to repay. So, if you sell your home, your trustee will gather in all of the following:

1 - The full amount you owed at the start of your trust deed.

2 - Interest on those debts since your trust deed began.

3 - Their own fees and costs.

What you have paid already will count towards this total, but this total is likely to be many thousands of pounds more than you owed when your trust deed began.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Paul McDougall
Trust Deed Expert

114 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2021 :  08:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leighboyd1

One of the conditions of entering a trust deed is that your assets are conveyed to the trustee. This temporarily removes your assets from your control.

If you are looking to sell the property, please speak with your Trustee as they will have to appoint a solicitor and marketing agent as you will not have the legal right to do so.

If the property is sold, then the net free proceeds are remitted to your Trust Deed estate. If the property is jointly owned, then the joint owners share is remitted to them.

As TDA advises If the funds are sufficient to pay the fees and outlays of the trustee and allow for repayment of your debt and statutory interest then yes, any surplus proceeds will be remitted to you.

My advice is to speak with your trustee and ask for a full cost recovery breakdown.

P

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2021 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Bright Oak Limited. Company Number: 06774006. Data Protection Registration: Z1657982.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.