Trust Deed Forum - Worried sick...
Home Home Page

Trust Deed Forum
Trust Deed Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Trust Deeds
 Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Worried sick...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2021 :  21:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone first time post here. Hope everyone is well. I have been in a trust deed for the last 2.5 years. My son is starting uni in September, he is staying at home. I know currently the costs for him is included in my current expenditure, but when he starts uni
Will he still be classed as my dependent? I will still be financially responsible, providing home, food etc so I will still have the costs of him living at home. I am worrying myself sick about it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Paul McDougall
Trust Deed Expert

108 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2021 :  09:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is a difficult question and not one that can be answered easily. The definition of a dependent for higher education is different compared to an insolvency process.

The trigger figures under the guidance increase each year so this may not be an issue. For example, the amount allowed to be spent for food has increased for you as well as travel , telephone and other. Also I would suspect your essential expenditure such as rent, gas, electricity may have also increased since entering into the trust deed.

All in all , doesn't mean you will be paying a higher contribution.

If your son is able to make a contribution into the household then you can demonstrate he is a non dependant adult and may be afforded the allowances.


Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page

New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2021 :  09:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply, I am sorry I am not entirely sure what you mean. I am really confused by how it will all work.

I assume just now part of my expenditure will include allowances for him but as he will still be under my roof and care I am still going to be providing financially, if he contributes in to the household then this will make him a non dependent and therefore I am seen as not finianciallh responsible - is that correct ? Or if he does contribute then he will still be classsed as dependent on me ? Sorry I am all mixed up and as a parent donít think I can ask him to make a contribution as he is not working.

I am so worried they increase my payment, it was increased by around £80 at my last review and I am struggling to meet that as it is. Thanks and apologies for being confused by it all
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13734 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2021 :  12:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jess541j.

It is confusing and there isn't necessarily a black and white answer that we can provide to you.

I think Paul is trying to say that your son leaving school and beginning university isn't necessarily going to result in an increase in your monthly contribution. It's one moving part amongst many others.

It is also the case though that a child leaving school and beginning university might not be seen in quite the same way, as a financial dependent, as a child who continues to attend school. You'd obviously see this where a child goes away to university and becomes responsible for managing their own financial affairs.

Perhaps it might be an idea to contact your trustee and ask them how they'd interpret the situation that you're describing? In the end it's going to be their interpetation that's the most important thing here.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2021 :  13:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, I will do this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2021 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Bright Oak Limited. Company Number: 06774006. Data Protection Registration: Z1657982.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority., Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.