Trust Deeds
 Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Working & Receiving PIP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gmcginty83

3 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2020 :  09:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Looking for some advice regarding working and receiving PIP.

I have recently claimed and been accepted for PIP. What I need to know is if receiving PIP is going to impact me with regards to my Trust Deed payments and if it was worth claiming the benefit.

Does PIP count towards my income and does any back payment I receive from PIP need to be paid to my Trust Deed?

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13542 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2020 :  14:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the trust deed forum gmcginty83.

PIP does count towards your income, so you should certainly make your trustee aware of this award.

Of course PIP is made available to people who have additional needs and therefore additional costs. I'd suggest that you prepare before speaking to your trustee so that you're ready to explain what those additional costs are for you.

Any extra justifiable expenditure could help to offset the increase in your total income.

There's no black or white answer to your question, it's really going to come down to whatever you and your trustee can agree.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

gmcginty83

3 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2020 :  14:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply TDA. I did speak to them a few weeks back but they couldn't give me a definitive or straight answer to the question. One person I spoke with said it is not taking into consideration then another said it is so I am in limbo with it. I'll reach out to them again after the weekend and try and find out. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3900 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2020 :  08:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
H gmcginty83. Your trustee cannot ask you to make payment from your PIP into your Trust Deed, as benefits cannot be sought as a contribution.

However, the level of PIP you receive is taken into account as part of your income when calculating what you can afford to pay from your earned income. As such it is possible that the effect of starting to receive PIP will be that the contribution your trustee asks for from you is higher.

If you have extra costs associated with your disability, then you should make sure these are being taken account of when your trustee is assessing your budget.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed
Go to Top of Page

gmcginty83

3 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2020 :  10:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your replies. I geared my self up for a long conversation with my trustee this morning. The conversation lasted 5 minutes and was told nothing needs to change and I can keep my whole benefit and back dated payment as long as my take home pay from work has not changed since my last review, which it hasn't. Had to send them the reward letter to confirm the benefit.

Eagerly waiting a phone call now that they have the documents for them to back track and ask for money. However 3 times I have spoken to them about this and 3 times they said not to worry and no changes are needed. So I will I refuse it going forward. Thanks again for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13542 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2020 :  12:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pleasure to help you with this gmcginty83.

Hopefully you'll hear nothing further and can carry on as normal without any changes.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3900 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2020 :  16:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Result!

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed
Go to Top of Page

Penny1286
Frequent Contributor

28 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2020 :  13:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised at this - mine has attempted to include my childís disability living alllowance in my payment. Itís
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13542 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2020 :  16:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Penny1286.

All of someone's income will be taken into account.

The question really is whether the additional costs associated with a situation have also been taken into account. PIP and DLA are paid because people are likely to have additional needs and costs. The actual extra costs should be factored into your expenditure allowances.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2020 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.