Letter from HMRC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gibbo8907
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  19:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

My partner is in a Trust Deed (as am myself) and she got a letter last year about monies due to HMRC for underpaid tax, for the year 17/18 (We entered trust deeds in April '17). As this was a claim for money while we were in a trust deed, should this be directed to our trust deed case for adding on to the trust deed?

We just came across the letter as we were moving into a new property at the time it was sent, We've not heard anything back since so it's more of a preemptive question if we do hear anything in the near future.

Thanks,

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13361 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  09:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gibbo8907.

Is your partner employed (rather than self-employed)?

Is it possible that any underpayment has been collected since via her tax code?

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

gibbo8907
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  07:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

She is employed, but not self employed. She works part time for the local council.

The last we heard was from around October time, but haven't heard anything since so I'm not entirely sure what the current latest is either.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13361 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  09:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gibbo8907,

If you're concerned, a call to HMRC would probably help you to get to the bottom of this.

Your partner's payroll team might also have some insight.

Where the amount of tax underpayment isn't huge it's commonly corrected by paying a bit more tax for a while afterwards (a change in tax code).

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3851 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  11:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the underpayment is still outstanding and relates to the period after the signing of the Trust Deed then I'm afraid it will need to be repaid - it is only debts accrued prior to the date of signing that are covered by the Trust Deed.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2020 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.