Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Trust deed data protection breach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paris1975
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2020 :  00:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looking for some advice....I have been in my trust deed for 3 years and there have been some issues. I was told when I started employment that I shouldnít be in a trust deed or become bankrupt. After my annual review my trust deed normally send all request information such as bank statements wage slips etc back to me. This time instead of sending all documents back to myself they sent everything back to my place of work. I was absolutely mortified. I received a call from my manager(I was off sick from work due to a miscarriage) to tell me they had received all my documents that I submitted for my annual review back to my workplace. I was incredibly embarrassed as everyone in my workplace could see my bank accounts what Iíve spent money on etc how much Iím paid my national insurance number account number everything not to mention the fact I was actually in a trust deed therefore had financial difficulty. I was extremely upset and too embarrassed to return to that place of work. I was absolutely fuming! When I contacted my trust deed they brushed it off and stated they had put measures in place but I explained that they had first made a massive data breach and also that these measures did not help as they had already make the error. I was fobbed off constantly by them. I feel they have breached there contract with myself. I now have lost all faith in them to carry out my trust deed and Iím very concerned that my next annual review they could potentially send my documents to my new place of work. Is there any advice anyone could offer?

Laura Thomson

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13254 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2020 :  11:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Paris1975.

I can totally understand why youíd feel very angry that this happened. If you havenít already you have the option to make a formal complaint to your trustee. If you then are unhappy with the way your complaint gets dealt with, you can take the matter to your trusteeís regulator.

In terms of your next review, I guess you should strongly emphasise to them what address the documents should get returned to. Is there an option to scan and email the documents instead? That way there would be no need to return anything like this to you.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Paris1975
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2020 :  13:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve stated that I will be contacting GPDR.... they have continually tried to down play the matter. I actually didnít realise how serious the matter was until I attended a training course for data protection. They have mishandled my data so is that not a breach of our contractual agreements?

Laura Thomson
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13254 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2020 :  07:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paris1975.

If you're concerned about the way your data has been handled then another option would be to take the matter to the Information Commissioner's Office. They oversee data protection law (GDPR).

We can't answer whether your contractual agreement has been breached because it's a legal question rather than a debt advisory question. I can fully understand the degree of concern you have about the matter though.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Paul McDougall
Trust Deed Expert

41 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2020 :  09:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Paris1975

I would contact the firm and ask to lodge a data breach complaint. The firm would need to contact their own GDPR officer and if it is found there is a breach, they would need to disclose it. From the sounds of it, it does appear that there has been a breach in this instance.

On the other point raised, there is no contractual breach of the trust deed I am afraid.

I can however appreciate and sympathise with what has happened - it clearly should not have been sent to your place of work and you are right to be aggrieved by the situation.

p

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2020 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.