Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Luke4630,

While people will inevitably disagree on topics covered in this forum, forum users are expected to interact with each other respectfully. Your reply to candlewick this morning falls below that standard. The only personal details used were those that you chose to introduce to the forum.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Luke4630
Advanced Contributor

117 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  11:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for message as you can see from his message candlewick used my second name in an offense comment which I reported to admin.which I see as being intentually distributive ,I can see from other post he has upset other forum members and had to apologise to them.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  11:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Candlewick has provided a unique insight to the forum for years which we very much value and appreciate. That doesn't always involve telling people what they want to hear.

As you know, we performed a small edit to candlewick's post only after you removed your forum signature which previously appeared to include a full name. The post you don't like didn't include any personal information that you hadn't already personally volunteered.

As for whether the post you're unhappy with is offensive, you'll make your own judgment I guess. We don't think it was offensive. I personally think it was a very sensible and well intended point to help you decide whether an approach to the press is a good idea. If the press did pick up on the story, it wouldn't necessarily report that you're on the right side of this argument.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Luke4630
Advanced Contributor

117 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  11:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for message as you can see candlewick used my second name in a offensive comment which I reported to admin as per your rules and regulations ,is it one rule for one ,very dissapointed
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  11:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't consider it to be offensive. We do consider your comment this morning to have been disrespectful.

I'm sorry if you're disappointed, but if you decide to use this forum then you accept that we'll moderate it as we see fit.

Go to Top of Page

Luke4630
Advanced Contributor

117 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  12:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes side with candlewick seems to be the norm going by other members he has upset speaks for itself .
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  12:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not about you versus another forum member. It's about whether we judge a particular post to have been offensive. While accepting that you have taken offence, we don't judge the post to be offensive.

I'm not going to argue it any further. If you want to keep using the forum you'll need to accept that we moderate it (even if you disagree with the decisions we make).

Go to Top of Page

Luke4630
Advanced Contributor

117 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  12:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And your reply to candlewick ?
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  12:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's very rare that we do this, but Luke4630's ability to post in the forum has been suspended for a week.

We try to make sensible moderation decisions (on the rare occasions they're needed) and explain them. Ultimately however, if a member doesn't accept that we moderate the forum then they won't be able to use it.

Go to Top of Page

candlewick
Advanced Contributor

338 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  17:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to reply to points raised recently, to make my own position clear.

This isn't the first time I've made the point that there are risks in going to the press. Fair enough if people have assessed those risks and decided how to deal with them.

However, the reaction to my example of 'how the papers might put it' suggests that people HAVEN'T thought about those risks. If anyone thinks, for one second, that some of the media wouldn't write something like that, it's probably worth reading a few stories about other people.

As I've also pointed out before, this forum is a little bit of a protective bubble. The people on here understand how trust deeds work, and how they can help the people who need them, at the time they need them. They understand why people feel the way they do about the PPI refunds issue. There's a lot of agreement with and reinforcement of those feelings.

You won't necessarily get that if you take your story out of this bubble. Even if the press treat you sympathetically, the online comments might not.

People need to think about that before going to the press.

People also need to think about another aspect of this little bubble, and that's their own identifying personal details. It's another point I've made before more than once.

This is still a public 'bubble' - it's not a closed WhatsApp group with a bunch of mates. Anybody can read the information you're putting on here. And that's not information about your go-to lockdown recipes. It's personal stuff.

I used someone's forum name in a reply. Think about that - the name which someone had chosen to use on a public forum, and I used it when replying to him. How often have all of us done that?

The only slight difference was that I omitted the numbers in the user name. But, seriously, people! A couple of numbers at the end of a user-name do NOT conceal your identity. This isn't a superhero movie or cartoon, where a miniscule mask means nobody realises that Hong Kong Phooey is really the mild-mannered janitor!

For someone to take umbrage because I used part of his chosen forum name - when he had his full name in his signature, has given out his email address, and has happily accepted posts addressing him by his first name(from people he agrees with) - is missing the point by miles.

Quite frankly, he has put so much identifying information on here that if the press were interested in his story they could have gone and knocked on his door.

Seriously.

And he's not the only one. Sort it out people! Stay safe online as well as in the real world.
Go to Top of Page

Mercgaz74
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  16:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Candkewick
Firstly I'm not going to get into a disagreement between yourself and Luke4630 and take on board your valid comments and points raised.
However I dont think it's your place to tell people to "sort it out". People are entitled to free speak and it's up to them what information they decide to share knowing it's a public platform.

G Wood
Go to Top of Page

candlewick
Advanced Contributor

338 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2020 :  00:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mercgaz74[/i]
[br]Hi Candkewick
Firstly I'm not going to get into a disagreement between yourself and Luke4630 and take on board your valid comments and points raised.
However I dont think it's your place to tell people to "sort it out". People are entitled to free speak and it's up to them what information they decide to share knowing it's a public platform.

That's useful feedback, Mercgaz74.

The phrase I used was intended as simply a short, snappy summary at the end of what was already a very long post. Too long to really take a further paragraph spelling out that, of course some people will have assessed the risks and decided to do it anyway but some won't .. and... You get the picture, I'm sure

My concern about the amount of personal information that people are giving away comes from a 'Look after yourself online' course I did a few years ago. One of the things it did was make us all think about how much of ourselves we were giving away online.

The course leaders gave us a couple of hypothetical examples of the way people give away very common bits of personal information in their online lives, and how those pieces could be put together and identify them.

There was a lot of scepticism so they asked us all to pick three of our own 'common bits of personal information' that we gave away in our online lives' and do an internet search. Just for ourselves. We didn't have to share the actual search results - just a brief summary of how much or how little the search had turned up.

The results varied between 'nothing really' and 'somebody could write my biography from the information I've put online'!

The people in the latter category were deeply distressed. They hadn't done it intentionally. But the information was out there, and could be linked together.

Now, some of them could have been plants, put into the group to make that exercise more effective. But one of them was a colleague and I know it took her some time to get over the emotional impact (the course leaders gave her plenty of practical advice). My own results were also more revealing than expected.

To round off yet another very long post, and with all due regard and respect to an individual's right to share all the personal information they want, I would still urge caution.
Go to Top of Page

Kayak
Advanced Contributor

72 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  19:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TDA debt adviser. I think the last few messages on this thread from candlewick and Luke4630 detract from this thread and may put some off reading it for the information that it was intended. This is a very important thread on how RBS are brought to task, allegedly. Might it be an idea to remove the comments from both from the thread that are not relevant to the subject? This in my opinion is not silencing, however rather keeping the message on message?
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  21:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where youre coming from Kayak. Perhaps even more off-putting is the 200 plus replies that would make starting from scratch on the thread a big task, and that some of the information from early in the thread is very out of date now.

Perhaps we should lock this thread and start a new and more current 2020 one?

From memory I think this thread started when I locked the last one, but I might be wrong on that.

Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13520 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  21:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, Luke4630s ability to post was restored earlier today. Hes very welcome back if he wishes to return.

Lets keep this forum a positive place to be everyone, even when well inevitably disagree on things from time to time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2020 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.