Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Royal bank of Scotland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Theresagreen
Regular Contributor

18 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2019 :  12:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have received an offer for PPI from the royal bank of Scotland. I was discharged 3 years ago. Can they keep the money?

contoboy
Frequent Contributor

39 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2019 :  09:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately if they were part of the creditors who were owed money they will use Ďoff setí , which has been a long topic of discussion on the forum. RBS have lost a previous court ruling on this subject however, have appealed to the Supreme Court which I have read on the forum is due to be heard during October. This will be disappointing but like everyone else who has had off set set against them it is now waiting game.
Go to Top of Page

Theresagreen
Regular Contributor

18 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2019 :  11:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband seemingly has a claim for PPI on our mortgage which we new nothing about. That wasn't included in the trust deed. Will they keep that too?
Go to Top of Page

Theresagreen
Regular Contributor

18 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2019 :  15:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The royal bank of Scotland have already kept around £5000 for PPI which our trust deed company looked into before being discharged. I feel that we must have paid back most of the debt. It's so annoying as we don't remember even taking out PPI on our mortgage.
Go to Top of Page

contoboy
Frequent Contributor

39 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2019 :  06:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím sure the experts will be better placed to answer but I would imagine if the trust deed is discharged and RBS were not owed anything then you should receive a payment. Thatís only my opinion and Iím sure you will receive a more accurate response from the experts.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13031 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2019 :  07:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Theresagreen.

I can see you've already received some useful information from contoboy.

If RBS wrote off money as part of your trust deed, they'll withhold a PPI claim to offset this debt.

There is a court case later this year about this process. If they lose they may have to make payment to all of the people who have been affected by this.

Was your husband in a trust deed?

Is the mortgage just in his name, or in both of your names?

If he was in a trust deed, did his trust deed result in RBS debt being written off?

In general terms it won't matter whether a debt (like a mortgage) was included in a trust deed or not. Their position is that if they wrote off money you owed them, they can use any money that it's later turned out they owed you (from the same period of time or before) against debt that they have written off.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Theresagreen
Regular Contributor

18 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2019 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband also had a trust deed and the mortgage which was not part of it was in both our names. It's so unfair as we were paying our trust deed for 6 years and they've already had PPI from us. We believe that we must have paid off the debt so fingers crossed but I don't hold much hope. It was a nightmare 6 years and we still can't get a break.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13031 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2019 :  22:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If RBS were repaid in full they wonít be able to set-off this PPI claim.

Even if they werenít, thereís a court case later this year that may or may not go in your favour.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Theresagreen
Regular Contributor

18 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2019 :  18:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just received a letter from a company which looked into my PPI claim saying that I've won my case with the royal bank of Scotland. I will now have to pay them £54 regardless if I get the money or not.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13031 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2019 :  20:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very sorry to hear that Theresagreen.

We've always advised people against using claims firm for this reason. It must be very frustrating for you.

Did you make the claims firm aware that you were in a trust deed? If they knew, they really should have advised you about this risk. If they didn't I'd be arguing with them about paying a fee.

Go to Top of Page

Theresagreen
Regular Contributor

18 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2019 :  20:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stupidly did it on line without reading the small print. I thought it was just a free check but they went ahead with it anyway. Luckily it wasn't a huge amount. I thought if I was discharged it would be ok.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

13031 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2019 :  21:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... perhaps as the "experts" they should have checked this with you before accepting your custom?

They have a duty of care to you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.