Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Marriage whilst in trust deed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stock565

3 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2019 :  13:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I entered a trust deed in Oct 2017 and all is going to plan. I am due to get married next year and was wondering how this would affect my Fiance and if she will be burdened with any of this debt?

She owns the flat we live in and I don't want her equity to be used to pay off my debts.

Any advice or experience in this area would be great

Thanks

M.Stockwell

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12987 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2019 :  13:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Stock565.

There should be nothing to worry about for you here.

Getting married will not affect you being the only person liable for your debts.

The type of thing that could cause an issue would be if you transferred your home into joint ownership etc.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Stock565

3 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2019 :  13:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the quick response.

Also, will her income be used to supplement my trust deed payments once we are married? Or is my trust deed mine alone?

M.Stockwell
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12987 Posts

Posted - 09 July 2019 :  08:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stock565.

Has anything changed since your trust deed began, or since your last review took place?

For example, have you been living together the whole time?

Getting married will make no difference to how a couple's finances are viewed. Living together is more relevant, but only in respect of each person paying their fair share of joint bills and expenses.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Stock565

3 Posts

Posted - 09 July 2019 :  11:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been living together the whole duration of the trust deed. Nothing has changed in respect to equal share of bills etc. My only concern was her spare income being added to an increase in payments and the equity from the flat she owns being used also.

M.Stockwell
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3753 Posts

Posted - 09 July 2019 :  14:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether you are married or not should make no difference to your Trust Deed. If you have been living together all along then your contributions should continue to be calculated in the same way.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.