Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 HMRC unauthorised payment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arabali
Regular Contributor

19 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2019 :  13:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back again after a few years away although I do pop back for a nosey now and again !

My Trust Deed was signed in March 2013 and successfully completed in 2016 (best thing I ever done) however on receiving my payslip this month I have been deducted an extra £500 income tax,after a few frustrating hours trying to actually speak to someone at HMRC I have been advised that it relates back to 2011,but there not sure what it is for,possibly relating to a self assessment (which I have never had to do) or an unauthorised payment ??

I should add that this is the first I have been made aware of this by HMRC, with no other contact from them over the years outwith the letters advising tax codes etc.

Before getting to the bottom of this one of my thoughts was that is if this relates back to 2011,pre Trust Deed,and if I am due them,should this have been included in the TD ?

Any thoughts or advise welcome.Thanks

David Tannock
Trust Deed Expert

2122 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2019 :  14:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arabali,

Sounds a little bit unusual for HMRC to make a deduction of £500 out of the blue.

I think you might need to do some more investigating on the issue to get to the bottom of it. This could mean writing or emailing HMRC to find out exactly what it relates to and then you can decide what to do.

If it’s for a debt that was pre your Trust Deed then you can advise them you entered into a Trust Deed and that was a debt which should have been included. You could find that the money gets refunded back if it shouldn’t have been taken in the first place.

Please let us know how you get on.

P.s great to hear your positive feedback on entering into the Trust Deed to help with the debts.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3716 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2019 :  09:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, all tax debts which relate to a period prior to the signing of the Trust Deed are automatically included and your liability for them was discharged when you completed the Trust Deed

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.