Trust Deeds
 Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Car query
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

K1991

4 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2019 :  21:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I entered in to a TD in May 2018 and at that point I thought I had a car on PCP but it wasnít .. it was some sort of loan agreement and was basically put in to the trust deed. The car was valued at £4150 odd pound so basically £3000 was put into the TD and the other £1150 odd will be paid off by the trust deed going on slightly longer than the four years (hope I make sense so far). Basically at the time I asked if it meant I could sell the car (as itís too small for our needs now) and they said it would be fine to sell but If I sell the car for the valued amount (4150) and buy a car for say 3000 then the 1150 would be required following the sale as itís surplus.

My problem is what if I canít sell the car for itís value (and also the fact it will have lost value by now as cars are always losing value) .. does that mean Iíd have to sell the car to buy a new one but make up whatever I sell it for under what it was valued for in the TD (£4150 odd) I hope this isnít too confusing to answer!

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12961 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2019 :  09:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi K1991.

This is one to talk through with your trustee I think.

My guess is that they'll ask for any surplus (over £3,000) to be paid into the trust deed, and that will then reduce the extension to your trust deed accordingly.

It's their call on this though. I doubt they'll be inflexible.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3740 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2019 :  09:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Trust deed Assistant is probably right. As long as you make extra payments at the end to make up any shortfall then it shouldn't matter if the car fetches less than the £4150 originally estimated.

It will need to be discussed with the trustee first though.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Toal
Trust Deed Expert

351 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2019 :  15:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the points made above. The trustee has a duty to ingather the value of the assets outlined at the start of the process.

Sharon is no longer posting in the forum.
Go to Top of Page

K1991

4 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2019 :  19:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.